Find Journeys of The Zoo on Google+ Journeys of The Zoo: The Joys of Raising Multiples Guest Post at Creating Comfort.

                                                                  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Joys of Raising Multiples Guest Post at Creating Comfort.

NOTE: This post was originally written as a Guest Post for Creating Comfort.

Below is what I posted to my site and below that is the text that I Guest Posted. I am including both here in order to have a record of all The Zoo's writings.

---------------------------------------o----------------------------------------

A big thanks to nobody all my followers for providing me with so much blog fodder for my "Raising Multiples" guest post today over at "Creating Comfort".

In case you didn't know, my short bio states "Canadian Mom to a litter..." and while I'm no Cat* I figure that having three kids at one time permits me the use of the term.

*Dictionary.com defines "litter" as: a number of young brought forth by a multiparous animal at one birth: a litter of six kittens.

So as not to confuse myself, allow me to set the scene for my guest post.

  1. I had a set of frateral and identical twins at the same time. Two + Two = Triplets,
  2. Fraternal twins can be hereditary, however, I do not know that part of my family history because I was adopted.
  3. The cause of Identical twins is unknown, however being over the age of 35 increases your chances,
  4. I found out early on. At eight weeks gestation, I went in for a midwife appointment and she sent me for an ultrasound. I just thought everyone was in maternity pants at six weeks!,
  5. I had no morning sickness. Multiples does not equal more morning sickness,
  6. I was HUGE! I measured full-term at 24 weeks gestation and went on to carry for another 6 weeks. In the end, I weighed 193 pounds (up from 125),
  7. By the end, I couldn't walk. Unless waddling 10 feet counts.
  8. I went into pre-term labour at 30 weeks, 3 days. Average gestation for Triplets is 32 weeks. They don't know why some woman carry longer than others. Height has nothing to do with it. Regardless, I'm of average height (5'5"),
  9. It is possible to exclusively breastfeed a litter. I ended up pumping for 17 months.

Now that we have the basics out of the way, hop on over to Brooke's blog, Creating Comfort and see what I had to say about "Raising Multiples".

---------------------------------------o----------------------------------------

Journeys of The Zoo thought that it would be fun if we shared all the nightmares joys that are Raising Multiples so that Brooke and her Family know what to look forward to in a few years.

I'll start out by saying that I don't know if it's harder or easier to raise muliples. This was and is my first and last pregnancy and

Triplets are all I Know.

  1. Support helps! For the first two months I had full-time support from my parents and they continue to be regular visitors,
  2. I'm thankful for pictures. I hardly remember the first 18 months. Breastfeeding, and dealing with the loss of Alexander kept me busy,
  3. Life gets easier, I get busier. Before, I had to transport them everywhere, now, I have to keep them from transporting themselves off the top of furniture on opposite ends of the house,
  4. Twice the amount of scheming creativity,
  5. I do not have two of everything. Sometimes I wish I did,
  6. They share everything. Except one item each,
  7. Every night is a sleepover. They love to share a bed (and do almost every night),
  8. They have their "own" language. I do not understand it,
  9. They can relate to each other. Turning in circles until you fall down and then repeating for 20 minutes is h.i.l.a.r.i.o.u.s. to someone the same age,
  10. They are each others best friends.
  11. Twice the number of hugs and kisses.
Maximilian and Artemis Wearing Sunglasses

Besos, The Zoo

6 comments:

  1. After all of my lovely spouses' research about babies and what not, the cause of identical twins is normally a random occurence, normally a "malfunction" of the normal process. Almost the same way a messed up sperm can be a messed up sperm. As for fraternal twins, they are hereditary, but it is hereditary from the mother's side of the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about multiples! How much did yours weigh at birth, being born a few weeks early like that? Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have morning sickness either. And I didn't get that huge that fast. I only measured about 20 weeks when I was 18. When I delivered at 30 weeks, I measured 44.

    I think in your case the heridtary aspect of fraternal twins may not make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do believe you are entitled to use the term 'litter'. I support that! LOL. You are very blessed to have those wonderful babies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your litter rocks! And 5'5' can't possibly be average height?? ;)

    ReplyDelete