Find Journeys of The Zoo on Google+ Journeys of The Zoo: Summer Vacation. Everything and The Kitchen Sink.

                                                                  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, August 20, 2012

Summer Vacation. Everything and The Kitchen Sink.

The Zoo has been "The Zoo" since January 2001 and during that time, we've travelled a LOT.

This year alone, we spent three months in Mexico. In April, we spent four days in New York City. In July, two days in New York State and I haven't even included summer vacation or our return trip to Mexico (in December).

Speaking of summer vacation, while the timeframe varies, it's never been shorter than three weeks and always includes five nights camping in Algonquin Park.

It also requires me to pack for at least two seasons; summer and fall, two lifestyles; sleeping bags and beds, not too mention items for seven beings; two adults, two kids, two dogs and "Aries the Cat". In turn, it should come as no surprize that we,

Have a LOT of Stuff.

We've also driven to Mexico AND back six times (so technically, 12 times) so we've got the routine down pat.

Right down to the "discussions".

There is no disputing that Ed is responsible for packing the van and I am responsible for filling it.

Where our opinions differ is regarding what exactly it should be filled WITH. As the saying goes, "one man's junk is another man's treasure". Here is an example of a discussion that we have every.single.trip.

Note that the following dialogue might be slightly skewed in my favour.

Ed: Everything won't fit.
Me: Yes it will, you haven't even tried.
Ed: It won't fit. Is that really necessary (pointing to my undergarments).
Me: Yes, I need those.
Ed: I don't.

Like every other year, Ed will make everything fit.

It's what he does.

That and the roof cargo carrier and trailer will help...

Besos, The Zoo

17 comments:

  1. LOL! Sounds like my husband and FIL! Adam went to NS to pick up some of our worldly goods and when he got back, the whole back of the van looked like one giant jenga or puzzle game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as we have a list, it's okay. Do you pack with a list or just stick in what you need? I don't even know how I would begin to pack for three months though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow you certainly done a lot of travelling - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That "it won't fit" thing must be a man-thing. They are just not good at packing stuff in there. Maybe if we made them carry a purse, they would get more practice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd better jump in here in defence of all men out there. I'm with Ed! Do you know how much junk you make us fit in there? I sometimes imagine that you all have weekly meetings to see what new packing challenges you can throw at us, so you can watch us struggle! Gooooooo Men!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's hilarious, usually I am the one saying "It won't fit!". You sure have done a lot of travelling... and driving to Mexico 6 times! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow driving to Mexico from Canada? what on earth! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is a lot of travel....nice memories I am sure though

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's definitely a lot of travel! Men are NOT good at packing...but women have it down pat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHAHA! Love it! You guys sound just like us! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband is the one that takes more stuff that I do. I'm the minimalist and he's the "I need ALL THE THINGS" kind of guy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was originally posted by Canadian Dad and it somehow got deleted!? I wanted to make sure that "the other side" (and us ladies know which side that is, smile) received it's fair dues. As always, thanks for your support Chris!

    "I'd better jump in here in defence of all men out there. I'm with Ed! Do you know how much junk you make us fit in there? I sometimes imagine that you all have weekly meetings to see what new packing challenges you can throw at us, so you can watch us struggle! Gooooooo Men!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love traveling too and that sounds like my husband and I!!!! Hahahhaha! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You make me laugh! Sounds like the same arrangement hubs and I have. Also sounds like the same convo too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We haven't done a whole lot of traveling since the little one arrived but we have made a few small trips. There are just soooo many things that a kid needs, especially when driving. I use to go with the "if I forgot something I will just buy it when I get there" but that doesn't work quite the same when you have kids!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neither DH or I are big packers. Bare minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This made me giggle cause my hubby and I are reverse. I pack as little as possible and he goes all out!

    Raj
    Pink Chai Style

    ReplyDelete